Startup Grind Ottawa:
Interview with Aaron Zifkin, GM, Airbnb Canada
Some of the most important points Aaron had to share with us about business, community, and the future of the sharing economy included:
- Airbnb isn’t a tech company – it’s an experience and people company.
- Do things that don’t scale – don’t just say it. Do it.
- It took Airbnb 4 years to get to 1 million bookings. On August 8, 2015, they did 1 million bookings in a single night.
- Don’t assume others are thinking about what you’re thinking of – ask the tough questions and critical questions.
- Do a couple of things really, really, well. At the end of the year, you’ll only be remember for a few things you did really well or tanked at.
- Getting “in trouble” is healthy because it forces you to re-evaluate the process.
- You can’t assume people understand what you’re doing. Be invested and educate others.